'Id est' (ie) means 'in other words' and captures the essence of translation and editing work. 'Id est' was used frequently in Erasmus' writings as he translated Greek into Latin, for example, and Elise Reynolds of Id Est continues this age-old tradition by offering you English words for your Dutch ones.
+31 6 295 06 289.
Id Est provides two services: Dutch-English translation and English editing.
Translation, ie, you provide the Dutch source text and Id Est provides a clear and engaging English translation.
Editing, ie, you provide the English article and Id Est edits any English language mistakes and can also act as content editor, improving clarity and readability.
Id Est does not handle financial or legal documents.
Interviewed in Tekstblad, about 'writing together' (Dutch article, 2007).
Id Est is the company of Elise Reynolds, a fully bilingual and professionally trained Dutch-English translator and editor. She has been working in English text production since 1995 and passed the Dutch State Exams in Dutch to English Translation and Business Correspondence in 1996. Thanks to the wide-ranging nature of translation work, she has enjoyed translating the words of the Dalai Lama and the poetry of Huygens, as well as a book on project management for PhDs, art reviews, business websites, sustainability reports and a book about childbirth by Daphne Deckers. Editing work has concerned theses on such diverse topics as biomedical research, television entertainment and Erasmus. Click here for examples of her translations.
Elise Reynolds grew up in America, the Netherlands and the UK, speaking both Dutch and English. Her bilingual upbringing and tricultural background ensure a good understanding of the Dutch text as well as a natural and clear English translation, suited for a wide international market. She now lives in the Netherlands while keeping her English language up to date with regular visits and workshops in the UK. She is a member of the ITI Dutch Network, the ITI London Regional Group and Sense.
Below is a brief, informal CV for Elise Reynolds (For a more comprehensive, formal CV, contact Id Est)
- 1995-now, freelance translation and editing work.
Clients include: SOMO research centre, Xavier Hufkens Gallery, Mangrove internet company, Design Academy Eindhoven, studio mfd, International Feature Agency, PharmaAccess, and IFA.
- Combining her artistic side with her language skills, she worked as an art site reviewer for an Internet gallery database for a year before the dotcom bubble burst (2000).
- An artist herself, she has her own art site.
- Bachelor of Arts at the AKI Art Academy in Enschede, 1998.
- Now retired to spectator status, she used to play cricket as much as she decently could and played for the Dutch national team in two World Cups. (Do you need any cricket match reports translated?)
- In a former incarnation, she worked in the restaurant and catering world in New York and Amsterdam.
- Briefly studied biology at the University of Amsterdam.
- Excellent high school education in Amsterdam (Vossius Gymnasium): five foreign languages including Greek and Latin.
- Three years of English public school (Alice Ottley School) in Worcestershire, UK.